How to Clean Your Window Well
From letting much needed light into your dark and dreary basement to acting as an escape route in case of an emergency, your window well serves an important role in your home. Many homeowners forget about the importance of maintaining a clean and clear window well year-round. To make sure your well stays functional throughout the year, we have put together a step-by-step guide for cleaning your window well.
- Prepare Your Well – Take some time to look at your well the day before you plan to clean it. If there are a lot of spiders, bees, or other insects in your area, you will want to thoroughly spray your window well with bug killer before you begin cleaning.
- Remove Debris – Once you have the window well free of any insects, now it is time to remove any debris that is inhabiting the well. You may need a shovel, Shop Vac, and a wheelbarrow or garbage bag. Empty all the debris from the well and discard in the trash before moving to the next steps.
- Scrub – With a bucket filled with mild dish soap and water, cover the sides of your window well and wipe down with a sponge to clean. Make sure to look at the corners of your well to see if there are any lingering spider webs that need to be scrubbed away.
- Wash your Window – Now that you have your window well sparkling, do not forget to clean your window. Using your favorite glass cleaner, wipe down the inside and outside of the window thoroughly.
- Ensure Well is Draining – Take a hose and run it into your window well and see how quickly it drains. If the well drains quickly, your drain is in good working order. If the water is pooling in your well, you may have issues with your drain. You may need to contact an expert to diagnose and correct the drainage issue.
- Invest in a Window Well Cover – Window well covers can prevent debris such as leaves and sticks from clogging up your well. Lessening the amount of debris that is entering your window well will save you time and money in the long run. Shape Products offers a variety of window well covers that will fit any window well.
Now that you’ve cleaned your well, checked the drain, and looked into a well cover from Shape Products, what’s next? Check your window well every year to determine if you need to repeat the cleaning steps above.
Shape Products is the leading expert in window wells and window well covers. For over 20 years, we have been manufacturing the largest and most dependable selection of window wells and window well covers on the market. Contact our team today for product inquiries!